New research highlights the latest trends in patterns of infidelity. Here are some of the more interesting findings:
- People are more likely to cheat during the summer months
- At a minimum, it’s estimated that cheating happens in 20-25% of marriages
- Rates of infidelity are increasing the fastest among older men (thanks, Viagra).
- Infidelity is the number one reason for divorce
- Cheating is more likely for individuals who have a dismissing or anxious style of attachment
- Growing up in a house where infidelity occurred increases one’s odds of cheating
- Living together before getting married is linked to increased infidelity
- More opportunities to meet people at work increases the likelihood of cheating
Source: Fincham, F. D., & May, R. W. (2017). Infidelity in romantic relationships. Current Opinion in Psychology, 13, 70-74.